Saturday, July 1, 2023

     Many years ago, when I was about 14, I went on a young men's camping trip. Partway through the trip, my dad joined us. One day, the other boys went on a rafting trip. My dad isn't a fan of being on the water, so he recommended that we go on a hike to a high mountain lake instead. We were in the Colorado Rockies so full of beauty, peace, and serenity. I don't remember the hike being too long, but either way, the view was wonderful. The hike provided my dad and I the opportunity to talk about anything and everything. We talked about our favorite things, like World War Two history, and he gave me fatherly advice on ways I could improve. It was a much better experiences to be with my dad on that hike than rafting down a river. Needless to say, my dad is important to me, as a father should be for any child.

    An article by Fatherly highlights some reasons why fathers are important. I would like to mention just five things that stuck out to me from this article.

    The first is how early fatherhood can actually start. Any man can start being a good father when is doesn't even have kids yet. There are certain actions a potential father can make to increase the chances of a healthier child. For example, the article states, "Studies suggest that men who binge drink before conception are more likely to have kids with congenital heart diseases and who abuse alcohol. Poor dietary choices in men can lead to negative pregnancy outcomes." If thinking about being a father, I would consider what you do to your body that might affect your child.

    The second concept is the difference between being present and being engaged. A father can be at home, but may not be doing proper dad things. The article suggests that quantity of time with the children isn't as beneficial as that of quality of time. I know a great way to spend quality time together is by working together. Monotonous work, especially, leads to great conversations and a wonderful opportunity to just talk, just as my dad and I did during our hike to the lake. Don't just be there, be there for your children.

    The third idea is how essential a father is for a newborns and toddlers. A new father may wonder why he's so important for an infant when they are so dependent on the mother, but there are studies that show increased cognitive scores for children whose father's were engaged with them when they were one month old. It may be that fathers also tend to be not as overprotective as mothers, which can be provide the children better opportunities to learn riskier skills, specifically swimming. A child whose father is not present and engaged when they are younger shows a harder time forming good relationships later on in life. Don't make your child's future harder than it needs to be by not being there for them when they are just newborns or toddlers.

    The fourth thing is how important fathers are for daughters. This paragraph sums up why. "DelPriore suggests that daughters might learn from disengaged fathers that they shouldn’t expect men to invest meaningfully in long-term relationships, so they settle for casual flings. It’s also possible that 'daughters with disengaged fathers receive less parental monitoring and are more likely to affiliate with sexually promiscuous friends,' she says. 'On the other hand, having a father who is warm and engaged can protect against these outcomes." My sister is the only daughter in my family, and I feel like my dad and he had a beautiful, yet somewhat typical, father-daughter relationship. They spent a lot of time together and it seems clear to me that my dad loves her. A father should protect his daughter for all she is worth. Any girl deserves a loving father.

    Lastly, but not least by any means, a father needs to be a good example. Children watch their parents. Any action can be deeply recorded and integrated into a child's mind. Be a good parent. Speak kindly to everyone, show patience and love. Work hard and live a life that you will want your children to live.

    I'm grateful for my father and his example. He shows his love for all of us, especially my mother. His hard working attitude and willingness to improve is inspiring and leads us to do better. Let's all be the best parent we can be for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Family

  I understand how much struggle a family goes through. I have been very blessed with a good family; loving parents and caring siblings. I h...